Skip to main content

State of podcast address on Windows Phone 8

I've recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 1020 running on Windows Phone 8. Quite scary really coming from iOS and Android as I like windows phone but found the experience one step up from a feature phone. Well the camera on the Lumia is the reason why I jumped ship and have decided to see if I can do better then just get by.

One of the applications that is a must is a podcast client. After giving up on car radio and music whilst driving podcasts are there to entertain me all 35 of them. However whilst listening is the end result the journey of getting there is just as vital and with as minimal intervention from me. I can remember before iOS allowed background tasks to run the daily task of opening the podcatcher and waiting for them to come down. Equally being able to easily select what I play and especially remember where I left off or playing the next track automatically whilst driving are equally important. After 10 years of listening to podcasts I have set of minimum requirements for podcatchers which I would like to share after a couple of developers reached out to me via twitter. 

OPML import and export
Moving between devices or podcatchers means I need to take my subscriptions with me. Being able to do this via an opml file I can either open with email or via a cloud drive. Having to upload the file to a web server to then have to share it back out again is too much of an over complicated process. I am also not interested in setting up an account with a sync service such as gpodder for something that can be done simply with this file.

Last played position
Just like a kindle or Netflix I want to be able to resume where I left off without the need to locate or place a bookmark on the position manually. Some applications on iOS and android even will save the position when either power is disconnected or Bluetooth disconnected from a car kit. Again little things that save my position and remove the requirement of me finding where I last was.

Background downloads
On iOS certain apps before the background settings was introduced used the GPS to detect the location to allow the application to run in the background. Windows Phone 8 (wp8) allows a maximum of 15 applications to run in the background. Therefore being able to use his to enable downloads to happen without any intervention should just happen so my podcasts are always up to date. Giving me the option to select which podcast I want updating in the background isn't enough as I want them all to come down.

Scheduled Updates
When podcasts are either updated in the foreground or background then there should be the option to specify the time when either by a set hour or interval. This will always ensure that they are up to date then any new podcasts can be scheduled to be downloaded as per the user wishes. 
 
Notifications
I don't need notifications that something is happening that I have requested only if it fails so I can intervene. The live tile icon can be used to show me the current number of podcasts that are ready to play.

Download over cellular
I know wp8 has some daft settings that only files of a certain size are allowed over cellular or will only allow files over WiFi and if on power. Given these restrictions and that I'm on a good data bundle I want to maximise every opportunity to download so would like this flexibility.

Background play 
Quite simple play in the so I can do other things such as run a satnav at the same time. If the satnav speaks the pause the podcast just don't lower the volume. Then resume when the spoken words have finished.

Lock screen away
If on power then don't lock the screen. This way I can interact with the screen and podcast application without the need for my lock code every minute. If I want to lock the screen then I can do this myself .

Global and individual podcast settings
Please give me options to set global download and keep policies. Then if necessary if options are available allow me to configure individual settings per podcast if required. On some I like to keep just the latest, whilst others I would like to keep more than one queued.

Sharing
I would like to be able to share what I am listening to via email or social media. The former as I keep a log for my CPE points the latter if I want to tell the world.

Podcast Notes
This goes with the last option but it would be useful to be able to share the notes as well.

Playlists
Unplayed, partially played and not played list should all be available to choose from. Where necessary I should be able to create my own lists and assign which podcasts I want against each list.

Fast Play 
Given I have 35 podcasts per week to get through the quicker the better. Adverts can be fast forward but the delivery on some is just so slow. On iOS and Android there are options to play the podcasts at a faster rate. Given most devices have a chipset capable then this should be an option. I have read wp8 doesn't allow this so build your player to achieve this.

On screen gestures
Swipe forwards and Backwards to move between podcasts or skipping. Double tap the screen to play or pause. all useful and no necessity to find the buttons, just use the large screen area. 

Continuous play in a specific order
Being able to play podcasts one after each other on the playlist starting from the oldest to the newest without any intervention is a must especially when driving. 

Settings backup and restore 
Any settings within the application should be saved locally, via email or to a cloud account. Equally we should be able to perform the reverse and be able to restore them. 

This list is not endless and everyone has their own requirements where these are just what I expect since coming from iOS and Android. 

Steve Litchfield has reviewed a large number of podcatchers available on windows phone 8 

Part 1
Part 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi