Skip to main content

Mythbuntu - the media centre? "it does what it says on the tin"

The PC in my front room was originally a Windows Media Centre (MCE) PC from HP. A few years ago I upgraded the RAM to 2gb and dropped in a dual core processor. Hp insisted the machine could not be upgraded to a dual core and that I needed to purchase a new machine at £1000 plus. However I knew the motherboard would accept the x2 chip but the bios would not. After a bit of reading around I found a way to re-flash the bios, remove the HP fudge and put on the original BIOS upgrade to support dual core. I located a seller and bought the chip for £100. Chip arrived, it was installed and was recognised by the BIOS and then by Windows. Because I had altered my internal hardware I was on the phone late one night to M$ to get a new code to reactivate Windows. I have to admit since moving to Linux that I really am glad that I don't have to do the activation rubbish any more. In principle I can understand why they M$ went down this route but working in the enterprise it was such a pain having to phone up.

Anyway, this machine last year had removed and opensuse 11 installed. I decided I didn't like this on a desktop (its on my server) so I put on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) which has worked okay although I really wanted to make use of the DVR facility as I have a DVB (freeview) card in the machine. I tried MythTV which was installed via apt-get but it insisted on not working correctly with the DVB card. The remote did not work but the DVB card worked with other software such as kaffeine or ME-tv. So while I was troubleshooting I downloaded a mythbuntu 8.10 ISO - AMD x64 version to give this a go.

My troubleshooting was a waste of time, I burnt the ISO to CD, rebooted and reinstalled Mythbuntu over the top of my machine. I figured I could rebuild the original quickly if needed.

After some initial set up, it recognised my MCE remote control, the DVB card and works brilliantly. I can search the freeview EPG for keywords, genre or channel list. It will record, pause and rewind TV. It saved me £150 purchasing a decent DVR and will be useful for the nominal time I watch TV. Further I can add plugins for weather, stream music or view RSS feeds - something MCE could do but was very clunky.

My original MCE set up impressed me to bits, the way the menus worked, the EPG, being able to play music whilst watching a slide show. I extended the system to stream tv online, allow me to schedule programme recordings through the web and I automated a process to convert the recorded video to DIVX for offline viewing.

The thing I hated was the EPG was prone to crash out, you would then lose your channels which in turn would stop your recordings. It would crash out each time it updated and no matter what fixes I put in place to back up the EPG refresh the MCE services periodically it was a waste of time. I was looking to Vista but this had the same issues so I blew MCE and the idea out of the window.

However, it was a colleague of mine that introduced me to mythbuntu and it was only a year later (today) that I actually installed it. If I think of all of the lost time trying to fix MCE, through installing Mythbuntu would have saved these for more important things.

Its early days for Myth andI will post more as and when I use it of my experiences but initial impressions are "it does what it says on the tin"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi