Skip to main content

Hardware Restriction - E220

I hate it when I buy a new piece of hardware that has intentionally been restricted by the manufacturer or provider to control how it should be used.

Nokia will only allow signed software to be installed onto their phones where a developer has to go through a convoluted process to obtain certification to allow their software to be installed. I have come across freeware that I wish to install but it needs me to get it signed beforehand. Apple lock their phones down so no background applications can run which could potentially hog the CPU and disrupt the experience when using the phone. Then you get mobile network providers that intentionally lock their phones/USB Modems to the network and charge an extortionate fee to unlock them.

Thankfully both the Nokia and Apple phones can both be jailbroken to get around these restrictions although it might be deemed as illegal by each Manufacturer (just google for information).

I have recently switched from a 3 mobile contract to PAYG but the modem was still locked to Three. Seeing as I was out of contract, now owned the modem and didn't want to part with any money to buy the unlock code, I decided to Google for any potential solutions of permanently unlocking my Huawei E220 modem so I can use any sim card.

I came across the following site http://www.unlocke220.blogspot.com/ which has simple instructions for windows (I ran this on Windows XP under vmware on linux). I had an issue trying to complete the flash.bin dump to a file so switched to a windows 2000 machine under vmware, however it should work okay under windows on a dedicated PC.

Now the restriction has been removed I have tried an O2 and Virgin Mobile SIM in the modem and they both work.

It is nice to be free again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi