Skip to main content

The next generation

June is slowly becoming a month like christmas where everyone is waiting for announcements on the next generation of phones. This June already we have seen the release of the nokia N97, the Palm Pre and will shortly see the Apple Iphone 3GS.

Initially when the N97 was announced last year I had thought this was the ultimate Nokia to have. However after having a 5800 and almost killing the device expecting too much. My appetite for the N97 has been waviering. Initially I heard rumours of a slow processor and then memory issues. This in addition to me using an E63 influenced me to look at the e series devices again. I have had an E90 for over two years and recently blew the dust off it to use instead of the 5800 and before I got the E63 then the E75. It is still set up to go as a backup handset as soon as the newer ones fail me.

However looking at the recent next generation handsets the specs of a keyboard, hsdpa, built in gps and 3 megapixel autofocus camera are almost exactly the same. So when I look at the G2, the phone 3GS and Pre I find myself asking what else have they to offer. My E75 has the same specification and I am enjoying using this device because of the form factor plus it is smaller than the E90 for everyday use.

I have already mentioned that I have avoided the N97 due to memory and I am not prepared to part with my cash for disappointment.

The iphone 3GS whilst better specs with hsdpa, video recording and finally cut and paste is of no use as I need multitasking. What also surprises me is if you jailbreak an old iphone it can do video recording, mms and cut and paste. Why do apple force people to upgrade for new features when the current versions can do it?

The G2 whilst it looks interesting the number of applications for Android is too small.

Nokia haved just updated the e71 with the e72 which is of a similar form factor has a 5 megapixel camera, s60v3.2, a slightly modified keyboard, 3.5mm jack and a digital compass. It is a real shame this device wasn't announced a few weeks ago as I would have got this instead of my e75. I really do like the form factor and the spec of the device is excellent.

This then leaves the Pre. I am following this one closely and am hoping a gsm version will be released some time soon. Stuff magazine believe we will see this device in September 2009. Palm have been around for many years and have reinvented themselves with this device which will hopefully see them as pioneers again. Whilst the pre has a similar spec to the e75 and iphone 3gs minus 32gb of storage. The new webos in the phone is based on linux, can multitask and has a new gesture control system for driving the phone.

The pre has already been jailbroken and it will be interesting to see if palm follows other people's route of plugging the holes. Whilst there are security issues because of issues like this, I believe that the process of jailbreaking the iphone has contributed immensely to the application markets. Also with the pre being based on linux I am hoping just like the nokia internet tables such as the n800 and n810 that updates to the OS will be dynamic just as in linux, without the need to completely reflash the phone.

For me, the pre offers great web browsing, multitasking, ability to install 3rd party applications and is feature packed hardware and best of all has a keyboard. I loved the iphone web browsing but the rest of the device was too restrictive and there was no multitasking. I am expecting the pre to deliver the same experience and plug these shortfalls.

I have heard there are some technical issues with the pre and before I look at parting with my money I will investigate. I did this before the n97 and am glad I didn't jump in first and be disappointed.

Synergy on pre sounds really cool where it takes all of the contacts and calendars from google, exchange and facebook etc. It then consolidates these on the phone as one list. Again Palm is leading the way but it will be good to see if other manufacturers come up with something similar.

Being a multiple device user I am keen to see how the pre copes with updating and managing my exchange calendar and contacts alongside my nokias.

I recently tried the google sync for S60 again now it syncs calendar and contacts using mail4exchange. However it didn't want to work on the E75 so I canned the idea after an hour. I switched back to exchange and it just worked seamless. However my hosted exchange provider mail2web is now on exchange 2007 which does not work with evolution via owa. Owa only runs as the light interface via firefox. This has left me now running Outlook 2007 under crossover professional on Ubuntu using RPC over Http. Whilst I can view entries I cannot amend them. So one problem of syncing all my phones goes away so I am not tied to a Pc. But now I cannot view my info directly on the Pc without a half baked solution.

Anyway, after that digression I believe the Pre could be bigger than google android this year but could make or break palm.

Apple, Nokia and Android will continue to get stronger because they are big players. Palm has the potential to be big again but a gsm version of the pre needs to come out soon so the rest of us can try it. Should Palm not be successful with the Pre they should open source the web OS then hopefully this might help it take off. Failing that android and web os might merge but that is just wishful thinking.

Now looking to the second half the year I hope Nokia provide a touch screen version of the communicator with 8 megapixels and 32 gb storage. Hopefully Palm will increase the storage on the pre or add an SD slot. Possibly apple might crack the Iphone with multitasking through their push notifications.

Either way 2010 looks an interesting year already.

Comments

  1. a couple of comments.

    I have been a devout Win Mobile user for several years, with touch screen HTC's but have gone this time round, as you are aware, for a E75, I have been really impressed with this phone, thought I might not get on with the lack of touch screen but thats not been a problem, have not encountered any of the difficulties you seem to have and am really pleased to have a phone thats able to do everything my old one did but better and quicker and its smaller to boot..
    A great little phone thats packed full of features.
    Cameras, NO WAY to the 8 M/pixel cameras, as a keen amateure photographer I would never consider usign an 8m/pixel on a phone, or come to that on a compact camera, as the lens is not big enough to fit that many pixels in without significant distortion, too many pixels can create as many problems as not enough pixels, also, there becomes a problem if you use MMS to send pictures to friends, their phones cant easily read a 8M/pixel picture, all in all, anything over a 4 M/pixel in a standard mobile is a complete waste! and at any rate going over that only produces results with larger prints and as most people dont even print their pics its a waste of time and money! I use an SLR camera capably of 12 M/pixels but to be honest if I am not printing out larger than A4 then I reduce it down to 6 M/Pixels anyhow, most hoe printers will also not give a good enough quality to appreciate any improved quality from more than 4 m/pixels either! so all in all phones sold simply by the increased pixel ratings of cameras are just gimicks! the difference in quality of one camera phone to another, in my experience, rarely depends on pixels as mcuh as the way the camera handles the light etc, my Nokia E75 gives far superior quality to my HTC's ever did even though my last HTC had a 6M/pixel camera and the Nokia has 3.2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David you have made some valid points that the megapixel size is irrelevant on a phone from 4mpxl upwards due to the size of the apperture abd sensor. However I can confirm after briefly owning an I8510 last year that the photo quality of the 8mpxl sensor was indeed better than the n95 5mpxl.

    I also agree that the e75 camera is excellent to the point I used it recently to photo many old family prints close up as I didnt have a scanner with me to complete this task.

    But as technology progresses I feel we will all be using these higher megapixel phones if we want to stay with the latest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi