Skip to main content

Back to the Future - O2 Part II

As part of the excessive usage on unlimited web for O2 in addition to the text warning you get a letter. The letter was from the Credit and Risk department. I called them up to try and find out some more information and whilst it was a pleasant conversation the information again was conflicting to what I was told the previous week.

On this occasion I was told the make of phone was irrelevant and the fact that I was using my HTC Magic instead of the E75 I got on my new contract. The issue was still the amount of data that I had downloaded. If you can recall it had been 6gb the previous month where there was no issue. This month it was 1gb and this is what had triggered the cease and desist text and letter.

During my conversation I said I liked to manage my bill so I am not over using my allocated allowances. Bearing in mind the Internet is defined as unlimited web with an excessive policy where you cannot tether the phone to a PC, use VOIP or stream video/audio and download via P2P.

Before moving to unlimited web when I got a simplicity SIM I asked about download podcasts and was told it was okay to do this. Again I was encouraged to use the service even though I said I do use it a lot. Then, before I signed up for another 18 month contract to get the E75 I had the same conversation again and the answers were the same.

However, I am now being told that my downloading podcasts to listen at another constitutes streaming but they were not prepared to argue the technical differences between downloading and streaming. As you know streaming is either listening or watching a live broadcast. Whereas what I was doing was no different than downloading a file and using it a later date.

Also in the previous week I was told they had no high usage packages available where unlimited web was the highest they did. However now, they had 3gb for £15 and 10gb for £30.

Whilst I have changed my habits quite easily to reduce the load on their network from my usage by using other mobile broadband packages I have. For example I have just purchased a 3 Mifi with 5gb at £15 of which proves in itself O2 are not competitive.

I am of the opinion O2 need to wake up and realise they are selling smart phones of which can fully function and replace a PC. The Iphone, the Pre and many Nokias can do a lot more than the feature phones they are also selling. The customer care were surprised that I had managed 6gb on a phone without tethering and didn't appreciate what you can actually do on a phone.

Its a real shame as a network they have very good smart phones but neither understand what they are capable of, restrict what one can do with them on their network and then don't appreciate and really understand the technologies available. Since when did download an audio file to listened to a later date constitute streaming?

It makes me wonder if their network can actually cope with the influx of smart phones and as more people demand to be online all of the time.

When I hear podcasts (not streamed) of the USA where the networks either have all you can eat tariffs or you pay for 5gb and you can actually use this for video and audio streaming as long as you don't go over your allowance. I sometimes wonder if we in the UK are actually ahead of the pack or merely following.

For the interim I will abstain and not over use my allocation on the network as I do need access to the Internet. Its not that much of a problem as I used to do this before I moved onto web unlimited. But it really feels like a step back in time.

The day they offer a proper grown up tariff that is an all you can eat is when I will bite their hands off for it. However, as soon as my contract is up I will be shopping around for a sim only deal. I really only need data on my tariff because calls and sms can all be done over data. I also cannot wait for Google Voice to come to the UK.

But until this time comes I will wait to see if anything changes....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi