Skip to main content

Take the tablet in 4 hour intervals

Like many others I watched the Apple announcement on the 27 January to see what other revolutionary device was being brought to life. I am not an Apple fanboy because the only device I have ever owned was a first generation iphone for 2 months and I promptly sold it because it just wasn't for me. But I have to admit I am becoming bored of buying devices which either don't work, the manufacturers are not supplying updates or there are no good applications. Therefore an iphone 4g with multitasking would have been welcome.

I have previously owned 3 tablets an n810, an archos android 5 and now an n900. The n810 is a good web browser based device but to use it would mean carrying a phone of which can also do the same as the n810. The archos was better than the n810 at playing media but the android support was lacking in both applications and stablility. The n900 is a good compromise between these devices but is still really in beta.

I also own a netbook, a larger laptop and a bebook ereader and whilst all have their own merits from using the archos I have really enjoyed using a tablet form factor. The wider screen is good for reading on screen, you can tweet, reply to an email and play media.

Now whilst I can use these devices I should really be satisfied that I have this choice, but for me they do not offer the converged convinence that a tablet can give. On the netbook I lose real estate on the screen, on the laptop I have limited battery life, on the ereader I cannot web browse and my n900 has a small screen. A tablet should be able to plug all of these holes for me.

So enter stage left the ipad, a mobile internet device with a 10" screen in tablet format running iphone os not mac osx. Apple's view is that it sits between a smartphone such as the iphone and a mac laptop. Netbooks which would normally take this placed are merely viewed by Apple as a small laptop so aren't really new technology.

The ipad has the potential to be a complete failure like the newton, but unlike the newton it is riding on the back of the successful phone. Also because it will be using the infrastructure of the iphone app store and itunes it already has a working solution in place.

Now we have been here before with UMPCs and tablet devices running Windows Xp. I had a vega umpc but quickly got rid of it as the touch input was archaic with an onscreen keyboard that had to be used with a stylus. For longer text entry sessions I had to plug in a usb keyboard which then defeated the portability aspect. As a device for playing back media it was okay but a little under powered which showed with wrongly encoded video files.

There will be more competition for the ipad this year with android tablets such as the dell mini 5, windows based tablets such as the msi tegra and there will no doubt the myriad of clones to follow. Now I do believe these devices running windows and android will be more functional but do I want the windows nonsense of crashing. My previous experience of android on a tablet was disjointed because I couldn't access paid apps in the app store. The google experience had to hacked into the archos and ultimately the tablet was ridden with bugs.

With the ipad I get the iphone os experience, I get access to all of the applications which work, it is stable and tested and I have access to itunes although I will probably use other means to put media onto the device.

The only thing that puts me off is Apple's reluctance to open up the architecture so I am not restricted by their antiquated policies of policing the app store and restricting the device resulting in running a dumbed down OS on a high spec. We know it has the potential to multitask and do more because of the jail breaking scene on the iphone.

But it is this what I am fighting with because I don't want to be told how to use the device, what I can do with it and what I can run on it. The apple experience for a normal user is great because it ensures the device will always run at its optium and should be intuitive to use. However I am technical enough if it breaks to reflash and fix it if this is the resolution and it this option I want. My Palm Pre, HTC Hero and N900 offer me this.

So I am sitting on the fence as I want the ipad because it can complement the other devices I use but I have been stung by the apple experience before and know how limiting it can be.
The ipad like the iphone should in theory have an upgradable OS so even if I kept the device for a number of years I should be able to upgrade. With a windows based tablet it will no doubt stop working at some point. With android you are at the mercy of the manufacturer where my recent experience of aHTC with the hero there is a lack of regular upgrades and patching. A Google based android tablet might be different but I have already referred to the disparate experience you get on the archos android tablet.

Because the ipad is a device I want to pick up and just have it work the apple experience might be my safe guard. I have my other phones and laptops to tweak with whereas I see the ipad being the device I pick up and use if I want to sit and read, browse or email whilst on the couch having a coffee. I don't see as a device for outside the house but the potential for mapping applications is big, but I would look quite a prat using it as a satnav in the car. I don't want to make calls on it or need 3g as I have a mifi.

The writing is on the wall that I will probably get one and I am slowly finding reasons to justify it. My only challenge is do I want to be locked into Apple for apps, drm and being told what I cannot do.

The days of wearing clothes with my name in and gloves on a string so I don't lose them are long gone and I don't need to be reminded of this each time I sit down with an ipad. I also don't mind reading the instructions for example when taking tablets because I could harm myself if I get it wrong but then I am grown-up so do understand.

But do I want to take the apple pill?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi