Skip to main content

The portable firewall of China


I am currently away on training in London so made the drastic decision to travel light and only bring my Ipad and a mifi. Okay I did bring some more gadgets but settled that I only should require the Ipad. My thoughts will be blogged after the week is up.

The mifi itself has been a god send as I put it in my back pack attached to a battery extender which gives me wifi for 8 hours. More than enough to get me through the day with my devices.

I no longer subscribe to a contract for the mifi but have opted to purchase data sim cards from EBay or other outlets dependent on what best deal I can get. Recently I have been purchasing Vodafone sims from eBay at £8 for 3gb as the signal strength has been very good and the speeds acceptable.

There has been a few reports in the Press that vodafone has been blocking Voip and I reported recently that Cydia had been blocked on my Ipad

However I am finding that more sites are being blocked by vodafone content control for example Iplayer streaming, twitgo and yfrog and even Skype. Now all it takes is a phone call to customer services to remove the lock but because I am purchasing new sim cards this is too much of a pain as it requires registration each time. Now you could say why don't get a contract but the prices are poor for 3gb and I am saving through what I am doing.

To get around these restrictions so I can post to twitter with pictures or use Iplayer (I have paid for the bandwidth!) I am using a VPN. Through jail breaking my iPhone and ipad I am running a tool called Guizmovpn and for 4.99 € I can run an openvpn connection over SSL to an openvpn provider. Because this encrypts and tunnels my traffic I am able to do my tweeting with photos using a service called freedomvpn for 8€ per month. Unfortunately whilst cheap it does not allow me to connect all devices at once on the cheapest tariff. Therefore I am now trailing a VPN pro package with Hidemyass.com for £7.66 per month. This allows up to 3 devices to be connected and they offer openvpn, pptp and l2tp VPNs. I have yet to still try their openvpn offering but pptp works fine. I am looking at setting up a VPN at home and using my home broadband to save in the monthly subscription. The only technical issue I have is the iPhone disconnects automatically and doesn't reconnect when its not in use. Whereas Guizmovpn stays connected all the time and reconnects as and when required.

The VPN services are also useful in free wifi areas to hide my credentials from fire sheep wanna be kiddie script hackers so I can ensure I am secure.

What has surprised me is how much Vodafone is restricting especially sites such as yfrog, twit go and Cydia. None of these sites causes problems albeit they may argue Cydia means jail broken devices. Whilst I understand they want to protect their networks and consumers from bad things they seriously need to need to re-evaluate their filters. Ultimately I have paid for a connection to the internet and expect a level of service that allows me to use it. However I feel each time I pass wind there is someone over my shoulder saying you cannot do that.

I accept there are terms for using their network but this recent example feels like big brother gone mad or it's a preemptive trial for charging more for certain types of traffic.

Thankfully my technical skills helped me out here but what about your normal user in the street?

I believe as Vodafone and the other networks follow suit with this Orwellian approach to traffic management that VPN and other proxy based solutions will become more prevalent.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Booking.com Sitcom and breakfast

  Have you ever had a booking experience so bad, it left you feeling like you were stuck in a bad sitcom? That’s what happened to me recently when I tried to book a room through Booking.com . I thought I was getting a great deal – a room for £35, plus an additional charge that I thought was for breakfast. I had used the Booking.com app to search for a hotel room, and I had applied the breakfast-included filter which added a £4 fee. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that breakfast wasn’t included and that there was an additional charge for breakfast on top of the one I had already paid. After checking my booking details, I realised that Booking.com had charged me an additional fee, despite not actually providing breakfast. This was highly disappointing and infuriating as I had specifically selected the breakfast-included filter and been charged an extra fee. I was expecting the £4 fee to cover breakfast, so I was surprised to find out that this was not the case. I

The word "Smart"

Smart - A word that has been attached to electronic devices also know as gadgets to make them look like they have some form intelligence or have clever abilities.  From smart TVs, smart phones, smart kettles, smart fridges, smart ovens to smart glasses what they all have in common is a feature or features that take them beyond their initial concept.     But how does one define smart and does adding extra features such as connectivity, control options or enhanced functionality actually make the device smart.   We've seen telephones from their infancy in the early days that were wired at home (and still are) to being carried around by everyone and from which we now plan, communicate, record  and coordinate our every  lives to the extent if  the "smart phone" is not with us; we cannot function or we forget what it "used" to be like without having the constant need to record our everyday movements or the check in with what is "happening" in the world.   We

The Fruit Watch - First day opinions

I've been a user of smart watches for the past 2-3 years, first backing the pebble on kickstarter, the cookoo , purchasing a sony smart watch one ,  purchasing a pebble steel , backing the pebble time  but always said on twitter I'd not get an apple watch, that it will be like a bracelet once the battery runs out and that pebble is really the one for me given the multi OS support (android and IOS). Well eating my own words I ordered the apple watch on 10/4 at 08:05 am and it was due to arrive on 26/5.  Another person I followed on twitter who lives within my area ordered there's at 08:02 and got it on the 24/4.  On Tuesday 5/5 I had an email to expect delivery on 6/5 and yesterday it arrived. So what changed my mind.... it was certainly nothing to do with apple as I think iOS 8 in its recent incarnation and the Iphone 6 plus are both aesthetically pleasing but are bug ridden hardware and software.  It was because it's apple given they have predominantly been my choi